« Home | Day 10 - To France (Saint Emilion) » | Day 9 - Burgos and Las Huelgas (medieval history g... » | Day 8 - Wonderful Burgos » | Day 7 - August, almost a year ago at Las Médulas » | Day 5 - last leg of the first part of our trip » | Day 4 - Further along the North of Spain (careful,... » | Day 3 - In Donostia / San Sebastian » | Day 3 - sleepy thoughts from the car » | Day 3 - On the road to Donostia » | Day 2 (part 3) - really, still La Rochelle » 

Thursday, April 16, 2015 

Miss Gonzalez's [attempts at doing a] doctorate 1

March 2015
Scotland is home to the friendliest, most emotionally stable Brits. Welsh tend to be open but are the shiest and least emotionally stable. People in East of England conscientious, agreeable but are less open. Londoners are the most open, but the least welcoming and not very conscientious. This is according to a survey of almost 400,000 British residents.”

A recent study which appeared on the BBC identifies where in Britain one would be happy based on personality traits. The online survey linked to the news was a shortened version of a study which measured personality differences by region; these results were clustered to evaluate whether certain traits were more common in one area or another, and identified trends such as greater character openness in metropolitan areas. During the study, a measurement of life satisfaction was also used, and researchers noted that those who lived with people with similar personality traits were happier.
I have taken the test twice and its results have given different locations as my best and worst places to live (I am still not too sure where in Britain those locations were, by the way), and different happiness ratios in relation to my current home town. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the test proposed that the nearest place where I would be happier was Richmond, which I agree with, if I could afford it, if there were less noisy planes overhead and if I wasn’t actually very happy in the place where I live now – which I cannot afford either, but that’s the wonder of renting.

Whilst the test provided a bit of fun, it also highlighted some more serious questions about research methodology and the validity of research which resonated only because I am also in the process of trying to complete my own research project on attitudinal traits with an element of quantitative methodology.

The most obvious problem is; how can we really indicate where one would be happier when happiness is such a difficult construct to tackle? Again, whilst Richmond is lovely, for me, happiness is where my loved ones are, my family, my partner. For some, it may be the other way round, and happiness may be found as far as possible from their family. Geographical location and the average personality and mores of those surrounding you does have a bearing on happiness, but it seems to be such a personal thing, a combination of personality, education and moment in time, that trying to measure it and then elicit an a location based on average personality traits, is a fun but futile exercise.
Let’s step back a little. I did query how can one identify what happiness is to then relate it to where one would be happier by matching them to the indigenous average personality. But I should have also queried why should we bother measuring personality through a range of traits, when these are quite limiting and self-assessed, to produce an average.

Researchers used survey results from a rather big sample of around 400,000 people of whom two thirds were female. Had I been one of those 400,000 these would have been my results:


Figure 1. High levels of neuroticism are the trait of a high percentage of language coordinators in my department

These results are, first, self-assessed. This means that each respondent evaluates themselves as they see fit and, as in every survey, may be influenced by socially acceptable results. Thus, they may display an over-critical view of themselves or include ratings which reflect the way they may want to be seen socially. Thus the statement “I am an incredibly open person but not very conscientious” could be translated into “my mum told me to be humble and not show off about how well I do my work, but I can show off about how much I like to party”. The first statement reflects results from a quantitative study while the second could reflect those from a qualitative study. And, please notice, I say “could”, because the risk of socially acceptable answers is always present, and I do wonder whether, unless one is a very experienced researcher with a knack for eliciting the truth, we can never be sure when conducting research about human perceptions and feelings.

Furthermore, results from the same subject may vary depending on when the research is taking place. I seem to recall that I rated myself as more conscientious and agreeable the first time I took the test, and levels of neuroticism may be related to specific times of the month – which makes you wonder about the wisdom of using a sample with two-thirds of females, which actually may just be an indication of the distribution of the population in general, and makes you wonder whether this would have been better off as a longitudinal study where subjects would complete the same survey throughout a period of time (note to self, check this before you question someone else’s research).
Now, rather than questioning the study, I am questioning myself, trying to answer doubts about methodology that I am currently going through and to which I found, alas, no answer, or where the answer presented itself after many hours of fruitless work which led only to one conclusion: if I cannot know anything for sure, then, what can I know about this anyway? And why would I want to research something which I think I already know?

Knowing ourselves is hard, but knowing others, once you get down to it, in research terms, feels like an impossible task. Impossible if we expect to fully know or understand behaviour, to predict it, measure it and set it in stone, to generate rules and undeniable facts, or if we expect to be able to account for every single variable affecting it. With that in mind we hope that we can somehow know something, as long as we are aware of the limitations of that knowledge. Thus, with a quantitative approach to understanding personality, happiness, feelings, we may not really know about people but only about trends, about life presented as a pointillist painting which you can only understand from far away – remembering that by looking at the scene, we are missing the points, and that any result is thus an explanation of a trend, from the studied population, from far away, squinting a bit, at a specific moment in time.

Figure 2. This is what quantitative research looks like to me



Figure 3. It looks better from far away, I can certainly see that people at Richmond are having a whale of a time




Figure 4. This is what qualitative research looks like: detailed but distorted by the observer's perception

XMAS3

About me

  • I'm Granpatranha
  • From
My profile
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GranPatranha. Make your own badge here.

Previous Patranhas

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Found in