« Home | Miss Gonzalez's [attempts at doing a] doctorate 1 » | Day 10 - To France (Saint Emilion) » | Day 9 - Burgos and Las Huelgas (medieval history g... » | Day 8 - Wonderful Burgos » | Day 7 - August, almost a year ago at Las Médulas » | Day 5 - last leg of the first part of our trip » | Day 4 - Further along the North of Spain (careful,... » | Day 3 - In Donostia / San Sebastian » | Day 3 - sleepy thoughts from the car » | Day 3 - On the road to Donostia » 

Monday, April 20, 2015 

Miss Gonzalez's [attempts at doing a] doctorate II



April 2015
Germany is the country that all other countries should aspire to become, especially one that also starts with G and rhymes with cheese”
Motivation questionnaire respondent #222


Figure 1; "And here you will find a thrilling set of likert scales where you can rate your assessment of the different parties' performance at the televised election debate"



Googleforms has saved my cheese with questionnaire work,  but it has also showed me, on the other hand, how much effort and wasted time lies behind questionnaire based research when one hasn’t got a research assistant – also known as minion who does all the legwork for you. I cannot deny though that I find completing my dataset a rather rewarding task filled with pearls of wisdom such as the above response to why respondent #222, quoted above, chose to take up the language – thankfully, this student also included a more serious answer, but the cheese rhyme (really?) concept had to be shared and seemed like a fitting prelude to this post. 

When I decided to use questionnaires one of the things I was clear about was that our students are over-surveyed and that there may be much dismay in having to fill in yet one more form. But, much to my surprise, not only did I get quite a good participation rate – bearing in mind the German team were excellently pushy, I suspect, at getting their students to complete my questionnaire, seeing the completion rate – but also a number of enthusiastic and candid responses to the open questions. These open questions required students to explain, in one line, their motivation to study their degree & their motivation to study a language. What many seem to have done is to pour their heart out, to show their passion or even their doubts about the subject in such a way that it almost seems they were grateful to be asked about the topic. I did have an inkling about how the questionnaire piqued their interest after some students stopped me at the end of the class, once questionnaires had been handed out and completed, to learn more about the research. Interest was clear among all the language teachers who volunteered to help; I had to almost pry the completed questionnaires in closed envelopes from some since they wanted photocopies to see directly what their students had said. 

Now, back to Googleforms. Handing out the questionnaires in printed form required much photocopying and preparation from me (apologies to the many trees that go into research), and a lot of training other teachers to make sure information was delivered adequately and to avoid any “forced completion” from students. After three weeks of madness, the task was completed. But I was unable to reach all courses and groups, so a form was designed online with Google tools, and then forwarded to students that had not been reached in person. The completion rate was, as could be expected, extremely low. But I discovered, though, that such questionnaire tool generates an Excel form and reports on the data (not necessarily doing all the hard work for you, but allowing to have an initial overview of numerical data with pie and bar charts). 

The Excel form is nowhere near the finished product, this will have to be transformed into a more suited Excel, or, directly, an SPSS form, which can be “read” by the statistics programme, but it is one first step in automatized data collection and, importantly, can be accessed from anywhere and is safely stored in the cloud. Anyway, not many students completed the form, but it was still useful as I used it to input all the data by completing the questionnaire, myself, over and over again, with the answers from the paper forms. Repetitive?  Yes, indeed, but at the same time essential to avoid extra mistakes in data input as most of it could be just done with a click. And faster, of course. 

It is the first time I design a questionnaire, hand it out and transform it in a dataset, so I am starting to see how my process is definitely faulty (in Spanish we say “hace aguas” i.e. like a badly designed boat that allows water to seep through). I needed to understand how I am going to test each part of the questionnaire, above all the numerical part, before designing it, but I found it impossible to understand which statistical analysis would be required for an inexistent dataset, so, more or less, took the bull by the horns and got on with data collection. Perhaps a mistake, but by typing information over and over again certain things are becoming clear: possible labels for the analysis of qualitative data, patterns in the numerical data, clear differences between languages and questions that can be elicited from the dataset which I had not thought of earlier. I am also starting to fear that I will end up having too much data in my hands. 

Did I mention there is a qualitative part to this? I have so many volunteers (86 out of 400, oh god 0_o) that I do not know what to do with myself, or with them, frankly. I need to elucidate a “fob off” email to let them know that I will be in touch soon, I mean, later, as need to first complete part 1 of the study before getting immersed in the interview part, and then see whether I could just do the interviews, record them, and do nothing with them until the second part of the assignment, were there to be too many.

So, does Germany rhyme with cheese? I am not sure. Should I have just removed this questionnaire from the lot? Not really, as it makes for a great anecdote which am sure my German colleagues will appreciate when I share the preliminary results with all in June. Watch this space though, as serious work needs to start soon with understanding how to question the data in statistical terms without putting my dainty hoof in it.

XMAS3

About me

  • I'm Granpatranha
  • From
My profile
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GranPatranha. Make your own badge here.

Previous Patranhas

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Found in