« Home | El diario de Miss Gonzalez V » | 8th June 1978 » | Weddings » | El Diario de Miss Gonzalez IV » | Socks » | Placeres Serigráficos » | Grizzly Man » | El Diario de Miss Gonzalez III » | Blogs y demas Patranhas / Blogs and Stuff » | El Diario de Miss Gonzalez II » 

Thursday, June 15, 2006 

Fascinating Fascinators

Of late, I've been able to experience a new area of the English way of life; wedding dress etiquette. Not that any of it has really sunk in as I am like a slippery surface on that respect; as they say in my homeland, info enters through one ear and, ipso facto, leaves through the other, not leaving a single imprint on the empty channels of the brain.

So, I could not care less about hows and whos as long as I end up sitting near a good plate of food - such is my animal nature governed by the needs of the body, and we all know that food will keep me quiet for a while. But, the dress, the "how to" dress is what concerns us here. To dress in the purest wedding invitee fashion I've discovered that one has to wear a fascinator.

And what does that fabulous word mean? Alas, it means that you have to wear the remains of a dead cockerel on your head (men excluded, unless otherwise stated by the wishes of the groom). Even though it looks good on some people, I do not see the point, unless one really wants to ascertain her nature as a bird.

Think of it... is this just another evil joke of the fashion designers of victorian times to make us look like a friendly beast on display?. Are they designed to make women akin to the animal kingdom and crack a silent joke on their chattery natures? Men, beware of the chatterbox in the crowd, you'll spot her by her feathers ...

This has made me think whether we have any similarities to that strange decorative implement for the female head in Spain, and yes we do! Our beloved peineta is perhaps the nearest relation of the fascinator down south. And, to my mind, as difficult and weary to carry around... how can you go through the doors of a XVIth century cottage with that on your head? Not that we have XVIth century English cottages in Spain, so that explains the size of the thing, which reminds me of another animal somehow...

So, after much thinking, I've reduced all this to an animalistic equation that describes the way I feel about these fascinating fashion concoctions:


equals

as

equals

XMAS3

About me

  • I'm Granpatranha
  • From
My profile
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GranPatranha. Make your own badge here.

Previous Patranhas

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Found in